Submissions and Guidelines:
Ano Ba is a quarterly zine, and we welcome artwork, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and photography from anyone within the Pilipinx diaspora. Submissions are reviewed within the first month of each quarterly cycle and you will be contacted if there is an interest in publishing your material. We do our best to respond to all submissions in a timely manner.
Be sure to read the following instructions:
- Please read the theme. We encourage all contributors to submit a piece or pieces that relate to this quarter's theme (below). However, if your piece is not at all related to the theme, we would happily include it in a future issue that is more thematically appropriate. So don't hesitate to send us what you have!
- Tell us about yourself! When we include your work, we want to give you the credit you deserve. So please include a brief 1-3 sentence biography written in third person present tense. And in the spirit of this issue's theme, also tell us about an important femme in your life.
- Please follow the correct specs.
- Written submissions accepted in .docx format.
- Fiction, Non-Fiction & Essay - less than 5,000 words
- Flash Fiction or Non-Fiction - less than 500 words
- Poetry - 3 poem limit
- Interview ideas accepted by pitch
- Photography & Artwork will be accepted at .pdf or .jpg (150-300dpi) - 20 image limit
- If you have an art piece, know that the dimensions for each page are 8"x6"
- Let us know if your piece is final or if you're open to revisions. We want to make sure we are showcasing your best work, so if you would like editorial notes we would gladly work with you to refine your piece. Additionally, if you are writing poetry, let us know if you have any preferences for how your work should be presented or formatted.
- Send all work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't let your work get lost to the wrong email! But more importantly, include your full name and the word "Submission" in the subject and what type of work you're including (i.e. Poetry/Essay/Photography). Combinations of work will be considered, so don't be afraid to show us how multi-talented you are.
- Submissions for ISSUE 3 will close by April 28, 2017. Please try to submit all work by the deadline. We might be able to make exceptions if your piece is ready to go before we print, but don't count on it. If it doesn't make it before this upcoming issue, we could try fitting it into a future issue.
ISSUE 3 THEME:
For Issue 3, Ano Ba would like to celebrate art and narratives by and about womyn, trans, or non-binary people. We welcome all stories, especially those that subvert the white cis-hetero-male gaze. As femmes and gender non-conforming people, what are our indigenous ties to spirituality? What is our ancestral and current-day connection to healing as babaylan? Send us your stories of mothers, daughters, ates, titas, queer love, hidden histories, gender-based violence, intergenerational trauma, collective healing, and more.
In addition to your biography, tell us about an important femme or gender non-conforming person in your life.